Small holes in the walls and floors, stale scent and chewed food packaging, shredded paper or cloth, and dark pellets are signs of a rodent infestation. IPM Pest Control shares that rodent control will include identifying and sealing points of entry.
It’s crucial to deal with the problem now sooner than later because these pests can cause a health hazard. Rat bites can cause rat-bite fever, leptospirosis, which is an illness that affects both humans and animals; typhus, hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and even meningitis. Mice can also transmit illnesses too, such as viruses, parasites, and fleas.
These pests turn to areas where they can find food and materials to nest. They ruin grocery supplies with droppings and cause salmonella infections.
What to Do About Rodents
Pest control services can exterminate mice or rats with poisoned bait. Exterminators sometimes have to repeat the treatment to ensure that it’s successful. If you have kids and pets, you need to keep them away during bait treatment.
Some pest control experts can also trap rats and sanitize affected areas. You can also ensure the safety of your home by apply preventive measures.
Preventing Rodent Infestation
You can make your home as unappealing as possible for these pests. A good way to discourage rats and mice in the home is to do the following:
- Seal any cracks in the walls and other potential entry points
- Make sure the kitchen is clean and don’t leave any food lying around
- Keep food in tightly lidded containers
- Empty garbage bins regularly
- If there is a compost heap, it should be turned frequently so the food scraps aren’t on top
- Don’t leave pet food out overnight. Return leftover feed to its container
- Don’t leave disused vehicles outside the home because these provide a home for rodents
- Keep lawns short
- Keep any bird feeders well away from the home
Rodents will enter homes for the food and shelter, and these pests can enter through holes in the wall. They are a health and safety issue, potentially transmitting viruses and causing food poisoning. A reliable pest control service can get rid of the problem while preventive measures can stop rodents from coming in the first place.