The toilet does not flush properly and the sink takes forever to empty. You might be facing a blocked drain. The build up of hair, soap scum, and other obstructions are starting to overwhelm your plumbing, and the results won’t be pretty. But should you actually worry?
The notorious clogged drain is a problem that most homeowners will deal with at one point or another. It is so common that people tend to underestimate how serious it is, to the point that they will put off repairs.
In truth, ignoring a clogged drain is a serious mistake, one that will have consequences later on. When you procrastinate on fixing it, experts like Perina Plumbing warn that you might face the following dangers.
1. Harmful gases – More extreme cases usually cause sewer gas to rise out of the drains, which is bad news in more ways than one. Apart from smelling absolutely dreadful, sewer gas is potentially lethal with continuous exposure. It contains a cocktail of harmful vapours that will fill your home, putting the health of your family at risk.
2. Water overflows – As you have certainly noticed by now, a clogged drain does not get rid of water properly. Full clogs will even stop it from going down at all, resulting in water overflowing from your sink, toilet, or drains. This can make people slip, and will often contain unclean substances like faeces and food particles.
3. Mould growth – Over time, the excess water exposure will cause mould growth on your walls, carpeting, and other affected parts of your home. Mould is dangerous to your respiratory health, and it is even worse for people with asthma or allergies. Don’t let it get to this point, as fixing a mould infestation can be very difficult.
4. Disease – Filthy and overflowing drains will eventually become a haven for disease causing bacteria. Constant exposure to this can be severely detrimental to the family’s health. There is a good chance of falling sick, or suffering from skin infections and allergies.
5. Flooding – Finally, clogged drains are bad for your home’s structural integrity as well. When the rainy season comes, clogged drains contribute to flooding, which can cause significant water damage throughout the building.
Whether the obstruction is because of a random bulky object or improper pipe installation, a clogged drain poses serious risks to everyone in the house. Make sure that you have it fixed as soon as possible.